Saturday 4 July 2009

Innocence




I see an old man lying lifeless,
With a group of mourners singing elegies.
His sons quarrel among themselves,
For a lion's share of his wealth.

I see a couple of young women
Talking about their sarees and fashion.
Their interest is immense
And glows brightly their passion.

A well-wisher comes with a garland
And lays it on the corpse.
Some people stand there restless
As if they were brought there by force.

The man playing the parai (South Indian percussion instrument)
Is unmoved by all the activity.
He is an intellectual and is
Aware of life's cruelty.

Deep in my thoughts
I realize that the body is what perishes,
Not the soul.
I learn to embrace life on the whole.

The gleeful laugh of an infant distracts me,
Instantly attracting me towards it.
Seeing its blissful, smiling face I understand that
Everything else dies, when innocence dies.
-Mr.ClAiRvOyAnT

No comments: